ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:54:20 -0500
Johanna,
   I think this is not a case of suddenly relaxing a rule as it is a
matter of someone inventing a rule that never belonged to the language
in the first place. I think Brad is treating past participle as if it
were carrying past tense, so that "had walked" is a mistake because
"had" can't come before a past tense verb. It's hard to tell, though,
because none of his examples or explanations have been clear.
   From a cognitive perspective, of course, a rule is much more a pattern,
and we sometimes accomplish great things by breaking those patterns and
stretching the capacity of the language. Change is often well
motivated.

Craig

Brad and other "correctionists" worry about "bad grammar," but we