ATEG Archives

June 2008

Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:43:50 -0400
I think that some of us are forgetting that every English word or phrase can
be used as the subject of a sentence.  Subjects of sentences are pronouns
nouns, or nominal phrases (including noun clauses).  Best is not a pronoun
[a closed class that can lose members but that has not gained any since
'it.'];
one word does not make a phrase; therefore 'best' is a noun in "The best is
yet to be, the last of life for which the first is made."

I sense awkwardness in writing "This is my father's and my address."
I would say "This address is mine and my father's," even though we are
taught to put third person before second and second before first.
Actually, I had more problems in the verb usage and sequence of tenses in
the question.  For me, writing correct English is an email requires far
more attention than in a letter and I am far less likely to catch my
errors--a good reason for always printing out my emails at work before
sending them.

Scott