ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 17:53:18 +0000
Bruce --

Sorry about that; I was trying to fight my tendency toward long-windedness (with, apparently, a cure worse than the disease). Here's an explanation I hope will be clearer, but which may bore most of the list half to death (unless they've learned to just junk my emails):

(1) Projected clauses are only one class of clauses that in traditional grammar would be considered dependent. They're identified on the basis of structural as well as semantic characteristics. They can be direct quotation-types, in which case what's traditionally considered the matrix clause can introduce, follow, or interrupt the projected clause:

He said, "John opened the door."
"John," he said, "opened the door."
"John opened the door," he said.

In a lot of registers, the same thing can happen without maintenance of the direct-quote phrasing, as long as "that" isn't explicitly added:

He said John had opened the door.
John, he said, had opened the door.
John had opened the door, he said.

You can't do that kind of rearrangement with regular hypotactic or embedded clauses:

*Because the room, John opened the door, was stuffy.
*I, the book was heavy, left on the table.

Adding a 'that' locks a projected clause into place, possibly by nominalizing it (I need to double-check this bit):

He said that John had opened the door.

You also can't pull a projection out and focus it in the same way you can with a lot of hypotactic clauses (you can't do that with although-clauses either, but I'm not sure off the top of my head how that fits in -- I'm in  a coffee shop, which mysteriously lacks H&M's grammar):

It was because the room was stuffy that John had opened the door.
It was when John opened the door that the papers blew away.
*It was that John opened the door that he said.

SFL requires a "semantic" distinction to be linked to an observable exponent, so there aren't any "unanchored" semantic distinctions floating around.

(2) There are clausal constructions that you might describe as allowing recursion, but which aren't examples of projection, thus the set of recursible (sp?) clauses is not identical to the set of projected clauses:

Ex: One can -- in theory -- keep nesting temporal or because-clauses, but they aren't projected:

We opened the door (because the room was stuffy (because it was in the basement (because....)))

(3) The definition and exponence-patterns of projection do not *require* recursion. If it were claimed that recursion in the formal sense is not a feature of language -- that, instead, human language uses iteration that under particular circumstances is arbitrarily repeatable until processing limitations are reached -- projection as a theoretic construct would be unaffected.

--- Bill Spruiell
From: "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date:         Tue, 8 Mar 2011 18:53:57 +0000

Bruce:

"Projection" is crucially different from recursion. It refers to a specific kind of clause relationship -- projection and hypotaxis are distinct categories in SFL --  and the bundle of characteristics the term refers to is the same whether one views language as actually using recursion as a fundamental design principle, or (instead) as having recursive-seeming structures as an epiphenomenon.

A side comment, but one possibly pertinent to some of this: there's a recent article by David Golumbia in _Language Sciences_ ("Minimalism is functionalism"; vol 32 (2010).28-42) that may provide some useful context for the discussion. It doesn't have any classroom application, however (at least, not outside a classroom on linguistic metatheory).

--- Bill Spruiell