ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:27:51 -0400
Variation in the use of prepositions in English is an area that needs a lot more study.  In the early 1980s I had a doctoral student begin a very interesting study of this based on the writing of high school seniors in eastern Pennsylvania.  Unfortunately she was unable to complete the study, but her data were very promising.  Our rich array of prepositions in English is a relatively recent development in the language, pretty much a feature of Modern English with some indications in Late Middle English.  What that suggests in part is that variation in preposition usage is a consequence of this fairly recent development of such rich variety.  As anyone who has taught ESL is aware, prepositions are one of the most difficult features of English for non-native speakers to learn.

I noticed the shift to "on accident," probably on the analogy of "on purpose," in my own children's speech around 1980, when they would have ranged in age from 5 to 11.  I believe Leslie Barrett at Indiana State University has been working on this variation, but I haven't seen a publication on it yet.  There might be something in American Speech, but I haven't checked all issues.  It was discussed a number of years ago on ADS-L, and you might be able to find postings through a Linguist List archive search.

Herb