ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:11:48 -0400
Bill,
   The argument for "at 5:00" being sometimes adjectival was mine. To me,
adjectival means primarily modifying a noun (or better yet,
participating within a noun phrase, as constituent element.) We could
say "The meeting at 5:00 is cancelled", and in this case "at 5:00" is
clearly part of the subject, not the predicate, so calling it adverbial
would mean>calling it an adveribal modifier of NP "the meeting", which
bothers me. The same would be true of "the 5 o'clock meeting", or
"tomorrow's meeting", and so on. It seems clear to me that place and
time are very central to the usual building of meaning in noun phrase
constructions. They come in as determiners, as noun modifiers, in
postnominal modifier slots, and so on. So maybe that means the
prepositional phrase "modifiers" are just being moved to the complement
slot? Tonight's game is a home game." "Tonight's game is home." "The
next home game is tonight." There are, of course, highly pragmatic
reasons for doing this, with the complement slot being the position of
high stress and generally new (or unknown) information. "When's the
next home game." "The next home game is tonight." "Where is tonight's
game?" "Tonight's game is at home."
   I think we sometimes get carried away with applying technical terms
when their usefulness may be suspect. But, to me, the prime
distincition between complement and adjunct is whether the element is
part of the core of the clause or is a more optional element. Once we
determine that it's a core element, we can make a second distinction
about how it functions.
   Richard pointed out a clear difference between prepositional phrases as
complements and prepositional phrases as modifiers, with movability a
big test. The difference seems to me both semantic and grammatical.
   "Last week, we scheduled the meeting for 4 o'clock." "Last week" tells
us when the scheduling act happened, so it's adverbial in all the
conventional ways. "At 4 o'clock", though, tells us when the meeting
will happen. It acts very much like the complement in a copular clause:
"The meeting is at 4 o'clock." It adds an element of causality. The
meeting is at 4 o'clock precisely because we scheduled it that way.
   The verb "Schedule" allows these complements, whereas many other verbs
do not. "Last week, we hoped the meeting for 4 o'clock." That's not a
semantic stretch, but it seems grammatically awkward.
   When we give a precise description of what is happening in these
sentences, the use of a term like "adverbial" becomes less important.
Do we want to use adverbial for all time and place meanings? I don't
think so.
  To me, it makes perfect sense to say that an adverbial complement acts
differently from an adverbial adjunct (or modifier). I can extend
adverbial that way, but I can also understand why someome would balk at
that.

Craig

Herb and Karl,