ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:29:03 -0500
Bruce,
    This is getting a little clearer, but it now leaves me a bit confused
about "bright" as a modifier of "red."  David's point, early on, which
you seemed to agree with, is that it's an adjective modifying "red",
which would account for it not being "brightly". > I thought you were
somehow calling it a noun in this instance.  ("The names for the
various colors in English are structured as nouns, but they often
appear as attributes.")
    Would it be easier to think of this as one other instance in which the
"ly" adverb marker is diminishing in use?  ("He moved so slow through
the room"?) I don't think calling "bright" an adjective in this
instance helps, since, as you say, it's in an adjective phrase headed
by "red".
     Are there words like this that routinely show up as qualifiers for
colors?  Bright red?  Pale red?  Deep red?  Dark red?  Would
"qualifier" be a better term than "modifier"?  Has anyone worked out
a taxonomy?

Craig

Craig,