ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 21:28:18 -0700
TJ,

I'm confused about your definition of a clause. Are you saying that to
be a clause you must be able to hoist out the string of words and have
it stand alone as a sentence? How do you treat a subordinate clause like
"before he went to the party"? Are you saying that the subordinator
"before" is not part of the subordinate clause? And even if you bite the
structural bullet there, how do you deal with relative clauses (e.g.,
"which he found at the party")? The "core" here clearly cannot stand on
its own unless you rewrite it to become a different kind of clause. And
if stands-on-its-own is not a sufficient definition, why is finiteness
necessary?

I'm completely with you in believing that showing students how to make
sense of language is a primary goal in our teaching, but I don't see the
finite requirement as pedagogically helpful (or theoretically motivated).

I've taught clauses to students from pretty much all grade levels from
8th grade through college, and for the middle and high school students,
I simply use the basic definition that a clause has a subject and a verb
(no requirement for finiteness). The older the students are, the more
likely I am to introduce the idea of a covert subject, starting with the
implied "you" of the imperative and (for college students at least)
moving on to the subjects of infinitives, but I've never found any
pedagogical benefit to stipulating that students look for a finite verb
to label something a clause.

Other than the fact that traditional grammar books often include
finiteness as part of their definition, I'd be curious to know what you
think the advantages to this view are.

Regards,

Karl