ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:35:46 -0500
Helene, Bill, and others,
   The OED has record of "so" without complement way back to Old English
and carrying through.
   Sometimes this occurs with negative or interrogative clauses. Here's
one from Middle English, fromChaucer: "And if a man wol aske him prively
Why they been clothed so unthriftily." From 1850: "What am I to say in
answer to conduct so preposterous?"
   You might be able to make a case that it means something like "to
such an extent". This, from wordsworth: "A voice so thrilling ne'er was
heard."
   But the OED also lists it "in affirmative clauses, tending to become
a mere intensive without comparative force, and sometimes emphasized in
speaking and writing." "Among the floures, so swete of ayre" (1503).
Dickens (1837): My dear brother is so good."
   It also intensifies adjectives, often followed by a...  "so great a
blunder". "so boldfaced a lie."
   It can also intensify verbs: "What payne doth thee so appall?"
(spencer, 1579).

   The word is very, very rich and interesting, so give yourself some
time if you want to look it up. (I didn't think it would be SO rich.")

Craig