ATEG Archives

August 2000

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:18:20 -0400
An interesting sentence, and very likely hypercorrected as Max speculates.
I was wondering about another scenario: perhaps originally there had been a
direct quote involved--"He probably saved my life"--which was changed, "Ms.
Payne's" replacing "my," without an awareness that the new sentence sounded
as if it referred to two women.  I am frequently struck by how a seemingly
routine revision can throw the delicate workings of a sentence unexpectedly
out of whack.

Brock