ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:07:27 -0500
I've run into it occasionally too, and Larry Horn is right that the complementizer "that" has to be reanalyzed as a relative pronoun for it to take a genitive suffix.  This is the only sure piece of evidence I know of showing relative "that" as a pronoun.

Herb

Sender:       American Dialect Society <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject:      Re: "I've a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac _that's_ hard drive recently packed
             in."
I mentioned this some years ago. I had a freshman in the early '80s who insisted that "that's" was correct because "whose" referred to people.

When I surveyed English Department graduate students with a fill-in-the-blank quiz, a fair number filled in the blanks with "that's"
instead of "whose."

God knows what they wrote in their own papers. They were mainly working on masters' rather than doctoral degrees, if that makes anyone feel better.  And did I mention that the degrees would be in English?  Yeah, I guess I did.

JL