ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:37:50 -0400
Interestingly, this discussion harks back to some early generative work
on "be", namely, Emmon Bach's Language article back in the mid 60s "Have
and Be in English," where he argues that both are transformationally
inserted.  Of course, a lot has happened in syntactic theory since then,
but much of his description still holds.  He probably wouldn't draw the
same theoretical conclusions.  That said, I'm not particularly
comfortable with dividing "be" from other linking verbs, although I've
often followed that practice in my grammar classes.  The problem is that
the larger class of linking verbs contains copular verbs as a
subcategory, and the pedagogical question is how much gain there is from
differentiating among them.  I don't find it sufficient to make the
teaching time worth it, but that's a pedagogical judgment that Martha
and I differ on, with good reasons on both sides.  The larger point is,
I think, that many grammatical issues we argue, and very interestingly,
do reduce to pedagogical questions, questions of how we prefer to spend
classroom time, even when there are substantive descriptive matters at
issue.  This is, I think, another instance of a descriptive/pedagogical
issue that I've pushed, the status of initial "that" in relative
clauses.  Descriptively, the evidence is overwhelming that it's a
subordinating conjunction rather than a pronoun.  Pedagogically, one can
make arguments for treating it either way, depending on what one chooses
to spend class time on.

Herb