ATEG Archives

January 1998

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:32:51 -0500

Mike Medley wrote:

> If my friend is *playing* on the computer, I can observe some actions
> going on.  I may not be able to observe whether he is *enjoying* it,
> for that describes his state of mind, and I'm not a good
> mind-reader.  Perhaps, knowing something about his degree of
> *enjoying* depends on his degree of transparency as a person.

OK; sure, I understand that *playing* is more transparently observable than
enjoying, generally, but enjoyment implies active participation in
something, I think.

I have studied and played music, and have attended thousands of concerts;
in these contexts, enjoyment was an eminently observable phenomenon.

I guess this is simply a question of whether syntax can be altered by the
context of a given statement.  I'm curious how the answer plays out in
other list members' minds.

Curiously yours,

Paul E. Doniger