ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:15:59 -0600
Thanks for your questions.  I am trying to formulate some thoughts and
such feedback is helpful.  I think that people do make conscious choices
in speaking and writing in addition to obeying grammatical rules that they
know intuitively or unconsciously.  A person who has been schooled in
grammar has conscious mastery over a set of rules that help him
create entirely new statements and such people do, I believe, employ their
conscious understanding of grammar for this purpose.  They understand that
gerunds with direct objects can be subjects of linking sentences, to pick
a random example, and can use knowledge like this in crafting  statements.
People without this mastery have to rely to a much greater extent on
imitation.  They do not have conscious access to abstract syntactic
structures.  In putting together their thoughts, they are more likely to
try to remember how somebody else put something similar because they do
not have conscious control of the rules that make statements grammatical.
I notice the tendency towards undigested quotations in student writing and
feel that it is a symptom of a lack of grammatical understanding.  I refer
to sentences like this:  "There are many reasons for the stereotype Jocks
are stupid," a real example. To me, this collage language is clearly
epitomized by the "He/she was all like .... " construction, which enables
a speaker to convey any attitude by direct quotation rather than
description.

When you are trained as a classicist, you take a course in Latin
composition.  Since your command of Latin grammar is tenuous at best, you
consult classical authors for passages in which they expressed thoughts
similar to the ones that you are supposed to be putting into classical
Latin and you imitate them pretty slavishly.  When you gain better command
of Latin grammar, you are much more independent in how you express
yourself in Latin.  I'm just saying that the same situation probably
applies mutatis mutandis to people writing English.  You don't either know
grammar or not know it.  You know it better or worse and more or less
consciously. The better and more consciously you know it, the less you
rely on models.