ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 08:47:00 -0400
"Lonely," by the way, is an interesting word, an adverb derived from "lone" which is itself an aphetic form (initial vowel dropped) of "alone."  "Alone" appears first in 1300 as an adjective derived from a combination of "all one," a phrase that was current at the time.  "Lone" appeared in 1377 by the loss of the initial vowel (aphesis, hence, "aphetic").  I wonder if the need for an adverbial form could have contributed to the aphesis, since we don't add -ly to adjectives starting with the prefix a-.

Herb