ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Amy Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:08:37 EST
Grammar is the Handmaiden of Thought--now, there's a bumper sticker in there
somewhere.
I'm starting a teacher training program in just that very idea: it will
involve teachers from across the curriculum, including art, biology, math, as
well as the usual suspects, ie. veteran and rookie English teachers. OK, well,
I admit, they're taking my course because they're my friends, but I still
intend to (surprise them?) by offering them something that they can use in
high school classes regarding how grammar can be used to focus and express
thinking.

Can anyone out there further my enlightenment by throwing me some ideas on how
grammar is the handmaiden of thought? I'm doing a lot of work on "thinking in
verbs" and "going from adjective to verb" as a means of providing specificity
and support. Other ideas welcome. Will report on results.

Amy