ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:52:02 -0400
Ed,

I think you hit upon something crucial when you noticed that in your own students' writing, the syntax varied widely from one piece to another, for some of the students.  I remember at least one article (Crowhurst?) demonstrating that the syntax of argumentative writing differed significantly from that of narrative writing (at least, that's how I remember it).  Then, too, my observations about "emerging grammar" ("grammar emerging"?) suggests that the grammar may differ with attention to content, prior to writing.  So we have at least three conditions worth investigating:  constrained (e.g. the Aluminum passage);
normal; and enhanced.  Also, narrative versus persuasive seems worth investigating.  The way writing is taught in the school/classroom is another relevant factor--perhaps QUITE relevant.  I agree,too, that it would be good to get the writings of older students, as you and Loban suggest.  No wonder most of us don't undertake experimental research, eh?  I empathize with the privacy issues problem.  I had no trouble getting and using grade 1-6 samples in the 80s, but times have changed. This could become a humungous project, but the results would be so much more valuable.

Connie