ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:47:47 -0600
Ed Vavra writes:

> As the members of the ATEG list know, I propose burning their
> grammar books. Well, not literally, but the things are useless.
Obviously,
> I want to invite the unknown guest to the KISS web site:
> http://curie.pct.edu/courses/evavra/KISS.htm She can tell her
district
> Language consultant that she has found an approach to teaching
grammar,
> based on theory and research, that does not require the
purchase of any
> books. Ed Vavra

As I argued in a little conference paper, grammar books today are
more like reference works or technical dictionaries, and less like
actual teaching textbooks.

The difference is that textbooks build the subject concept by
concept, and teach the reader.  Reference books, on the other
hand, simply compile the information in an arbitrary and fragmented
way.  For example, alphabetical order is not the best choice for
organizing an subject that you intend to teach (whereas it might be
a good order for a reference work intended for informed users).

Almost all of the grammar books that I get in the mail are actually
reference books.  They are potentially useful for me but not for my
students.  In a _textbook,_ on the other hand, students ccould
start with no knowledge and have the whole subject explained to
them in an incremental way.

It seems to me that the last great grammar textbook (in the true
sense of the word) was written by Martha Kolln:  Understanding
English Grammar.

Ed Vavra also presents grammar in a textbook form on the KISS
web site.

Here is the link to my conference paper:

http://www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb/elac.html

Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
please visit me at
http://www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb