ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:03:20 -0400
Bill,
   It's interesting that the three kinds of complements that show up with
"be verbs" (essentially noun phrase, adjective phrase, and adverbials
of place and time) also show up in the "object complement" slot. In the
causative construction, we learn how they (the object entity) came to
be that way. In the copular construction, we simply learn what they
are, are like, or where located. (Identity, characteristics, location
in space or time.)>
   "The lecture is after lunch." "The lecture was scheduled after lunch."
(Potentially ambigious out of context, but assuming the scheduling
happened before lunch and it's the lecture itself that is after lunch
precisely becasue we acted in such a way as to put it there.)_
   We can imagine a spacial parallel in "the dinner is on the table."
   I like to think of the representational process as having elements that
don't always show up in the discourse. "Kick" is a transitive verb, but
we can say "he kicked with all his might." In context, the object is
understood or even unimportant to the purposes of the speaker. We don't
always need to articulate all the relevant elements.
   Of course, it's difficult to think of "across the river from Troy" as
caused construct in a sentence like "Albany is across the river from
Troy." We have to imagine something like "Settlers established Albany
across the river from Troy", but I don't think that's conveyed in the
shorter version. There's a stability there. "The stars are in the sky.
God is in the heavens."  I don't think we always imagine some sort of
causation with these structures.
   I have no idea if I'm addressing your interests. Depending on the
class, I may or may not follow it out in this much detail.

Craig

Hi All --