ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 08:38:48 -0500
Michael,
    This may sound like consorting with the enemy, but check out George
Hillocks' "Narrative Writing: Learning a New Model for teaching", new
from Heinemann. His idea--and one that he shares with the
functionalists--is that the nature of literacy ought to be more
explicit, especially for at-risk students, and has some neat exercises
to get students to render scenes, write dialogue, transform dialogue
into narrative, explore inner thoughts and feelings, and so on. He
doesn't ignore the technical. As I read, I couldn't help but think of
natural ways to bring in additional attention to language. With your
background, I think you'd have plenty of ideas. Most of his work has
been with middle school, but I think much would carry over.
   The key, I think, is to look at grammar (form) as what helps make any
genre possible. So looking at what constitutes successful texts helps
us understand the forms that are called creatively into play.

Craig    >

Having agreed to do a workshop on integrating grammar instruction with