ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Rebecca Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:01:40 -0400
Dear all,
I am collaborating on a paper, "Code-switching in English Language Learning
contexts" with Connie Weaver for her Heinemann collection, *Grammar to
Enrich and Enhance Writing.*  While I can handle examples of transfer from
vernacular speaking students community grammar into school writing, we're
looking for examples of the kinds of grammar "errors" that English Language
Learners make as they are learning to write in Standard English.

So, to that end, does anyone have examples of teachers teaching editing
(ideally "code-switching," but not necessarily) to ELL students--student
before-and-after samples, with ideally a paragraph or so by the teacher,
explaining what he or she did to help the student(s) move from the unedited
draft to the final one.

Here, we are focusing on GRAMMATICAL issues, or morphological ones (word
endings, etc).

We would love to be able to include actual samples of ELL student writing
showing the kinds of developmental grammar, word-structure patterns they go
through on the way to commanding Standard English.

Thx for your help,
please feel free to respond to me off-line at

and I'll post a summary to the listserv

thx,

rebecca wheeler

Rebecca S. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English Language and Literacy
Christopher Newport University
Newport News, VA 23606

(w): 757.594.8889; (c): 757.651.3659; (f): 757.594.8870

www.faculty.users.cnu.edu/rwheeler/
http://www.ncte.org/profdev/onsite/consultants/wheeler