ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:58:11 -0400
Brad,

While I should let the writer of that sentence speak for himself, what you're objecting to is the point on which we, many of us on this list, disagree with you.  No one would argue that was/were is not the past tense of "be."  But in this sentence past perfect is clearly called for.  The marking down clearly is prior to the instructor having the student in his/her office.  There is no other syntactic marking of this, and so the past perfect helpsl to order events as the writer intends.  I don't understand why you would call this use of the past perfect wrong.  It's what we agree the past perfect is about.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University