ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:29:55 -0500
Edmund,

I don't think the comma indicates any special meaning beyond the implication that there is a special meaning.  Some teachers have given the unfortunate advice to students to put commas where there are pauses, generally unsound advice, but this is a case where the pause occurs because there is the sort of special meaning you describe and the comma helps to signal that.  So in this case the comma does mark something that we would mark in speech with a pause.  Not a standard use of the comma but certainly a legitimate one.  Your better writing students would understand this usage and would not take it as license to put commas wherever they feel a pause occurring.  Poorer students might not.

As Humpty Dumpty might suggest, it's a matter of who's in charge, the writer or the comma.

Herb