ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:09:33 -0400

My dissertation (now many years in the past) involved a typological comparison of the way languages make nouns out of non-nouns -- I focussed on nouns referring to some participant in the action (like drive -> driver) rather than nouns referring to the action itself (refuse -> refusal). As might be expected, almost the first third of the darn thing was my attempt to wrestle with definitions (if you think it's a headache in English, try getting a non-circular definition of "noun" that can apply to multiple languages). There was a kind of commonality, though: if a language has some kind of marker of nouniness, it will tend to show up the minute you try to make a comment about something. In English, for example, if you can put a single word in the blank in a sentence like, "I don't really like _____" or "We talked about ___________" it's acting like a noun -- and if it doesn't have an -ing suffix, it probably is, in fact, a full noun. I suspect this has a relation to Cognitive Grammar's notion of bounded spaces, since in effect you're having to hold a notion "steady" in order to then tinker with it via commenting on it; it's establishing the difference based on discourse role rather than conceptualization, though.

Greek terms transliterated as "onoma" and "rhema" (I can't figure out how to do Greek orthography in email, and I wouldn't remember where the squiggly bits go anyway) are the basis for our modern division of sentences into subject and predicate -- but "onoma" just means "name" (it's the basis for "noun"), and I can't find any real evidence that "rhema" early on really meant "predicate" as opposed to simply "the stuff you say about the thing you just named" (I have to stress here that "can't find any real evidence" should in no way be taken as meaning there is none -- there may be tons, but I haven't run across it). If "rhema" really was just "what you say about the thing you just named" though, it didn't really mean "predicate," but rather "comment," roughly -- and thus "noun" is basically right back to "what you can make a comment about."

And to chime in on hellbound handbasketness: I wonder what would happen if English teachers systematically treated expressions like "pre-owned vehicle" or "free gift" as being as "bad" as, or even "worse" than, expressions like "There's two books on the table" or "Bob and me went to the movies."

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University