ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:06:57 -0400
That's intriguing. Things have certainly changed--for good or bad, I'm not sure (though of course I have a bias towards the way I and the teachers I know do things). If I may ask, in the course you're describing, would a freshmen English paper--if it was supposed to have an argument--also have failed for not making a clear, focused and arguable claim; not supporting its claim effectively; not being organized intelligibly; or not using sources properly? Also, would a paper with many and various beautifully constructed sentences but one comma splice fail while a paper that consisted of a string of short, simple sentences--or a few grammatically correct yet interminable and convoluted sentences--passed?

I'm not presuming to know the answers to these questions, and I hope I don't sound combative; I just wrote a stern message to a group of students, so I may still be in the wrong rhetorical key!

I'm interested because the lore and institutional history of writing teachers tells us that we realized, sometime in the last half century, that we'd been over-prioritizing correctness at the expense of clear, effective communication and argumentation. But, not having been there when "we" realized that, I don't want to close my mind to the possibility that we've actually only gotten lax.

Brian