ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:02:52 -0500
Bill,
    This is the kind of material I would choose if my main goal were to
give students a practical way to understand grammar and put it to use.
 KI just worry about how misleading this might be since it is not the
prevailing view of things.  What is our obligation, for example, to
let students know the arguments for minimalist approaches to grammar.
They may, in fact, be teaching in a school system that expects them to
teach as little grammar as possible, but deal with student error as it
arises with as little meta-language as possible, which would be, I
think, the prevailing "progressive" view toward grammar at the present
time. I think that approach is a terrible failure, but am I doing a
disservice to my students if I don't at least take time to explain
those positions and their history? It would seem to me important, too,
to talk about why grammar and composition have been at such terrible
odds with each other over the last few decades.
   I think I did Amanda's post a great disservice by moving too quickly
toward a description of what I thought it is missing.  The point I was
trying to make, and I think now I did it clumsily, is that there's not
enough room in a single semester to do what needs to be done.  The
ideal would be to take the wonderful syllabus Amanda presents, with
background on language acquisition, respect for language communities,
the different needs of non-native speakers, and the like, and then
follow that up with a second course that does what you outline, giving
a practical understanding of grammar with a special concentration on
those functional aspects that are so central to the creation of
effective text.
    I may just be saying what has been said so many times, that teacher
preparation programs don't spend nearly enough time on grammar.  As
someone now being asked to propose a course, I am faced with difficult
choices. when I used the term "enablers" I'm afraid it may have come
across as a direct criticism of what Amanda is doing.  What I hoped to
convey is that we as a group can support the status quo if we don't
speak up more forcefully about how broken the system is. In other
words, it would be possible to teach such a class with a focus on how
badly we are doing in addressing this problem. We could also teach the
class without ever raising that concern. We can prepare teachers to
teach in the system as currently set up, or we could raise serious
alarms about our current failures.
   If we expect students never to have to teach a comprehensive grammar,
then it is easier to choose not to teach them one when you only have a
semester to work with. We then continue the pattern of putting teachers
in place who are prepared to teach writing and literature, but not
grammar, at least as a body of knowledge.
    I have been paying some attention to what's going on in Australia,
where genre is the central focus. It is inherently connected to both
reading and writing, and it gives us a way to deal with grammar that
tucks neatly in with other goals.
    I think Bob may be right, that students have a natural desire to be
cohesive.  As Nancy Sommers points out in her research on reactions to
teacher comments, students often get sidetracked from trying to be
meaningful and, instead, try to meet the expectations of the teacher.
to the extent that those are dysfunctional or merely formal, cohesion
is lost as a goal.
    Genre gives us a way of understanding that a student writer is largely
unpracticed in doing certain kinds of work with language. I believe
there's great value in conversation about these attempts, and that
conscious awareness of how these genres work is an enormously useful
part of that conversation.  Awkwardness is inevitable as the writer
tries new things.

Craig

Craig: