ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Yvonne Stapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:27:20 -0400
I think my explanation makes clear that these are not "first
drafts" -that students have loads of time to compose and
check their answers.  I have collected samples from papers,
presentations, exams and discussion boards.  I don't think
we can excuse English teachers/ESL teachers from these kinds
of problems, but I do note a lot of excusing -certainly
among education faculty.

Again, please note also that I emphasized that these
teachers do not have an actual deficit.  Rather, the error
patterns they produce parallel the kinds of errors in
lexicon, morphology, grammar and coherence that we see in
various types of real language impairment.  Unimpaired
people produce these errors at the formal rather than the
informal level of language, the level that requires
instruction and practice.

Native speakers do not acquire this level of
language "naturally."  What is naturally (unconsciously)
acquired (by age 5 or so) is the basic everyday level of
language -the morpho-syntax, lexicon, discourse that is
basic.  More complex language is associated with literacy
development.

Speaking of literacy development, I have noticed a lot of
reading difficulties among college students.

yvonne