ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Tim Hadley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:11:02 -0500
ATEG and Dr. Veit's inquirer,

I am not aware of any published research dealing with
this issue (others on the list probably are), but I
would say that the grammatical incompetence of the
inquirer's 6th-graders is the best possible "research"
into the need for direct grammar instruction in the
elementary grades.

Tim Hadley
Texas Tech University

Quoting "Richard Veit, UNCW English Department"

> ATEG members:
>
> I invite others to help in replying to the following
message that I
> received from a grade school teacher (who found my
address on the web site
> of my book Discovering English Grammar)? The
questions asked are certainly
> central for the Assembly. Because the writer is
probably not a subscriber,
> be sure to copy the writer <[log in to unmask]> on
any reply.

> (e-mail) [log in to unmask]

Tim Hadley
Ph.D. student, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
806-742-2500, x 281