ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:32:55 -0600
I sure wish I understood what this means.

>>> Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]> 02/18/08 4:27 PM >>>

As I always insist, language is a reflection of thinking; if
language degenerates, it is because thinking degenerates. A society
will have a language that satisfies its needs and desires, and
reflects its thinking habits.

*****
I wonder if anyone could provide us with examples of what she means.

1) Can anyone cite an example of language degenerating that reflected a degeneration in thinking?

I know Orwell suggests that in 1984, but I wonder if she could provide us with a real world example.

2) Can anyone provide an example of how a language satisfies the needs and desires of a society and reflects its thinking habit?

As we all know, there is in the aspect system of a dialect of American English that marks habitual aspect.  In this dialect, there is a difference between (1) and (2).

1) She be here now.  (She is always here now.)
2) She here now.  (She is here at this time.)

My dialect of English doesn't have this aspectual marker be. Is it being claimed that those whose dialect has habitual aspect and those that don't think differently?

In my part of the United States, Kansas City specifically, the number come before highway.  So, people take 50 highway and not highway 50.
What need and desire is this point of grammar for the speakers in the Kansas City area (I have heard this construction on the local evening news and on the NPR station in Kansas City.  Billboards regularly give location with this form.)?  What does this reveal about the thinking of the people in Kansas City?

I'm really puzzled by statements such as the one I cited and have no idea what it means.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri which is on 13 highway just south of 50 highway.