ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:23:25 -0500
As a writing teacher as well as a grammar teacher, I'd like to raise the larger question: Should we be training students to think passives are automatically bad and always to be avoided?

Since my last verb phrase in the previous sentence is passive (just like Herb's last verb phrase in his message below) it's clear that my answer is no. Often a passive construction is exactly what a writer wants to use in a given context. In our classrooms we can compare active and passive sentences and discuss the impact of each, guiding students to see when passives are less effective than active sentences and when they are more effective.

Dick Veit
UNCW English Department