ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:30:55 -0500
DD: Am I a bit confused? Consider the quote from Geraldine Ferraro,
[NYT 12 Mar 08, Maureen Dowd.] "If Obama was a white man, he would
not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color), he
would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who
he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."  I thought High
Standard English required the use of the subjunctive in stating a
condition contrary to fact.