ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:16:21 -0400
Bob,
   I want to apologize again for my comment. I didn't mean to imply that
you were promoting your career through adherence to these ideas, and I
certainly take your characterization at face value. Your responses have
sometimes seemed defensive to me, but I have no place to generalize
from there. What does tend to sadden me is that our conversations very
quickly become arguments rather than sharing of perspectives, but
perhaps I'm expecting too much.
   Just a quick response to your statements.
   The view that language, including the grammar, is acquired through use
(usage based) is being developed very carefully by a number of people.
Not too long ago, I shared an article (I know you have it since you
requested a copy) which concluded that recent empirical studies support
a usage based over innate model. It doesn't make much sense for you and
I to argue it out on the basis of our thoughts about it when a.  >

 Colleagues: