ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"O'Sullivan, Brian P" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:19:52 -0400
...how would you (or how do you) teach towards the "known-new contract" in lower grades?

Craig's last post in the "sentences beginning with conjunctions" thread made me think about this topic. Craig cited Martha as saying that violating the known-new contract is the most pervasive problem in student writing, and he suggested that a rule like "vary sentence openings" might aggravate this problem. I generally agree with these points (though I think that varying sentence openings is not a bad idea--it's just that students should learn to do it not by introducing multiple subjects but though noun-substitution strategies and other means.) But the "known-new contract" seems like a pretty high-order, strategic approach to language; I'm not a psychologist, but I know that various psychological theories characterize young children as egocentric and abolutist in their thinking, whereas "known-new" seems pretty other-centric (i.e., reader-based) and context-sensitiv. I'm not saying that it's developmentally inappropriate to think about "known-new" in the lower grades; I'm just wondering what kinds of scaffolds you would put in place to support student's gradual development of the concept and skill of organizing thoughts from know to new. I can think of two general categories of scaffolds that could be used: rules and play.

For example, would you make a "rule" that new information is not allowed to appear at the beginning of a sentence or a paragraph? If so, how would you help them determine what is "new information"? Would you have them pick out some key terms--concepts and proper names, maybe--and introduce them at the ends of paragraphs? Of course, even if you could teach students to follow this kind of rule, they'd have to learn later on they should make it a rule of thumb rather than a tabboo--but that's true of all the rules that teachers make for young writers. I think the key point is that these rules should lead students in the (e.g., the rules should lead students towards understanding that coherent topic-strings are more important to readability than variation for variation's sake.)

Still, I wonder if students would "get it" more readily if coherent writing were presented more as a game or creative activity than as a set of rules. I'm thinking of some kind of "round-robin" exercise, where everyone has to passes around a piece of paper and has to respond to the previous person's sentence and add a new one. Or write dialogue, maybe first in pairs or groups and later alone, where each line is supposed to respond to the previous line and add something new? I just think that kids learn begin to pick up the idea of "known-new" in conversation long before they pick it up in writing, and having young writers emulate speech might help them emulate this principle in writing a little sooner. Another nice thing about dialogue is that young students could be allowed to write sentence fragments, as Craig suggests, without being implicitly taught that fragments are generally acceptable in written English.

I don't know--I'm just a college English professor and Writing Center guy, and I think teachers in the lower grades have a tougher job in many ways. I'm just wondering how they address this porblem of coherence, or how they could address it.

Brian