ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:38:30 -0800
"Running..." is in the position normally occupied by the subject, but
it's not the subject; it's the subject complement. We have an inverted
sentence structure here, for the reasons Herb so cogently spelled out.

You can easily see this by changing the number of the NP that follows
the verb. The verb must change to maintain agreement:

 Running from the back of his skull down to the front _are_ two strips
of hair.

Karl