ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:42:41 -0500
Nancy,
   I like the last part of your post the best. You're right; the passive
does tend to make writing impersonal. That is one reason, though, that
it shows up so much in scientific discourse. It doesn't matter who
heated the mixture for seven minutes at four hundred degrees, just that
it was done and can be replicated. (Notice the paasives at the end of
the last sentence.) Impersonal is not always good, not always bad, but
something we can benefit from noticing.
   I'm not as happy with the idea of "complete picture" because it assumes
that each and every sentence is a complete and separate statement, not
tied to discourse context or situation. If someone asks "how are you
doing with preparations for the party," you might very well say "the
cake is baked, but we need to pick up the drinks." The baker of the
cake may be already known or irrelevant.
   There are functional approaches to language that are highly systematic.
I think we need a comprehensive understanding of language before we
give out prescriptive rules (the old "first, do no harm" maxim.) I have
said on list many times that I feel a disinterested, primarily
descriptive linguistics cannot solve the problem. Because people want
advice on using language, they turn to the handbooks. It's hard to
blame people for doing that when they don't have a practical
alternative.
   Linda points out that "it"and "there" are often extra words, but they
are also highly functional ways to extrapose a subject into focal
prominence. "It is easy to love you." "There's more than one way to
skin a cat." Linda wants to help, but she is figuring it out for
herself on the basis of her own thoughtful understanding. It's a
daunting task.
    It's not a matter of finding practical ways to use a formal
understanding, but of recognizing that function is already built in.
We need to look at how language works. Since effectiveness is context
specific, we need to look at ways in which language is sensitive to
context. And by "sensitive to context", I don't mean just dialect and
social register, but interaction and the construction of shared
meaning.

Craig