ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:45:25 -0500
ADS-L had a discussion on this some years back, and I pointed out then
that /nuky@l@r/ in place of /nukli@r/ probably reflects the fact that we
have lots of words that end in /-ky@l@r/, like secular, particular,
macular, etc. and very few end in /-ky@[log in to unmask]  So the former
pronunciation is chosen by analogy to the more common word ending.

Herb