ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
richard betting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:46:38 -0600
Janet, Craig, et al. continued
	One of the reasons I  tend to believe in the innateness of some
grammatical structures is that children can understand the kinds of
sentences that have been used in recent posts. For example, a first
grader will understand this exchange: "If you continue to behave
badly, you will not get a present" leads, later in the day, to "That
you won't get a present is very obvious."  Another example results in
the prepositional phrase as subject. "He said that he would leave at
nine" might lead to "For him to leave at nine means that we'll have to
finish our project quickly." I got those kinds of sentences and
explanations from my study of generative grammar forty years ago.
Transformations. The second called the T For To transform.
	A comment and a question. The naming of parts: are word groups
phrases or clauses, participial phrases or clauses and should we call
them one- or two-object verbs? Are these transitive or intransitive
structures, finite or non-finite verbs, and are these adjective,
qualifying, complementary or appositional clauses or phrases? Are they
complex transitive, di- or bi-transitive? Will  R & K diagrams help
explain them and will students be able to distinguish form from
function? Are participles and infinitives parts of speech? Why or why
not? How many parts of speech are there, anyway? And finally, what is
the relationship between the naming of parts and improvement in
student speaking and writing?  Do teachers consciously and
consistently make those connections between theory and practice? Are
students being asked to write and speak and are they creating
portfolios of written work to demonstrate their competence? And are
they participating in the assessment process?

I would bet that the majority of middle school/high school English
teachers would not be able to define and explain the terms that have
been discussed, to say nothing of doing so from the perspective of
more than one grammatical approach. That is not to criticize the
teachers themselves so much as to ask about the educational process
shat enabled them to get where they are without an adequate knowledge
of the English language that they spend so much time teaching. In
order to have an ADEQUATE (minimal) background in English, what
courses should/must all language arts teachers have? Could we agree on
the required courses? Do current textbooks (for teachers) meet the
content requirement we might create? Is anyone still working on scope
and sequence?

Is the current discussion helping create a consensus on these and
other issues that we should be helping decide? Unfortunately, perhaps,
the end result seems to be that each person will create his/her own
curriculum.  If English teachers don’t take the opportunity now,
someone else will, as NoChild evolves and insupportable standards
(like the naming of  grammar parts) are created. So much to do, so
little time.