ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:18:22 -0600
You are quite right about the issue.  It seems that the commas are justified by whether the appositive is non-restrictive or identifying in nature.  This works for one's siblings.  Yet when we consider Beethoven's opera, we ask did he write any other opera?  Fidelio  was his only attempt!  So are the commas there simply by custom having no real rule to justify them?

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/26/01 02:55PM >>>
Bruce,

I'm afraid I must disagree with your #1 comment below. Whether the
appositive is one word or more than one word is not the issue. The issue is
whether the appositive is necessary. My usual way to teach this is to ask
who has one brother (or sister) and who has more than one. I then write out
the two variations:

My brother Charlie lives in Chicago.
My brother, Charlie, lives in Chicago.

One of the best examples I know of is this: Beethoven's opera, Fidelio, is
magnificent.

(Why can't I do italics in Outlook Express???)

--
Keeper of the memory and method of Francis Christensen.
WriteforCollege.com