ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:26:27 -0500
Linda,

One thing you could explain is that "supposed" can be considered two different words.  There's the one that reduces to "sposta," like "wanna," "gotta," "useta."  We can say either "We're supposed to arrive at 5:00" or "We're sposta arrive at 5:00."  In this sense what is expressed is obligation or expectation.  In its other use, as in "I suppose we'll be on time," we can still reduce "suppose" to "I spose we'll be on time."  But a passive like "It is commonly supposed that money grows on trees," we can't contract to "it is commonly sposed that money grows on trees."  The lexical meaning doesn't allow contraction in the passive as readily as the grammaticalized form does.  But that's what we expect of forms as the take on grammatical rather than lexical function.

Herb