ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:08:22 +0000
> Michael,

It looks as if we do agree on policy at least.  I go along entirely with
your insistence that students have to understand the rules so that they can
break them on occasion.  One can't appreciate the point of a deliberate
solecism performed for stylistic purposes (one's own act or someone else's)
unless one has a sense of what rule is being broken.  When Shakespeare's
Duke of York in 'Richard the Second' shouts in anger 'Uncle me no uncle!',
we miss the point of his stylistic rebellion if we do not sense the first
word as normally a noun and not a verb.

It is not romanticism I am attacking.  The best of the romantics were well
aware of the danger of blind idealism (Keats:  'Was it a vision or a waking
dream?' -- and I am particularly drawn to Shelley's paradox,

                                            To hope till Hope creates
     From its own wreck the thing it contemplates.
                            ['Prometheus Unbound', Act IV]

What I dislike is the thoughtless commitment to naïve spontaneity that
strangely regards the investigation of language, the very thing that makes
us human, as de rigueur for the English teacher.

Grammar has been banished from the official syllabuses in England for so
long that the new generation of English teachers does not know it, and such
ignorance is lauded as leading to the removal of a filter that in the past
kept working-class children from entering the education process.  The
fashionable view has been that the teacher should know grammar but the
student need not -- a tremendous encouragement for the budding teacher.
There has been of late a slight sign that the syllabuses are aware that
language has rules, but nowhere here is there any attempt to relate grammar
to expression (as in Virginia Tufte's and Constance Weaver's excellent
books), so the effort is wasted.  As I said, our government seems to be
wholly locked on to this outdated attitude, and, worse, is about to issue an
edict which will force all state primary school teachers to adopt as their
focus of attention  whatever 'project for research' seems to be in favour at
the Department for Education.

I was lucky enough to have had a wonderful English teacher, Muriel McCarthy.
She gave me a lifelong love of the chief of the romantic poets, Wordsworth.
I remember how she was able to relate to its grammatical forms the solemn
climactic rhythm of the marvellous passage where he describes the gorge he
had descended in the Alps ('The Prelude', Book VI, 1850 version, lines
624-40).  There is a succession of noun phrases as subjects (where a leading
noun is linked to an adjectival unit), a succession followed by another set,
this time as similes, all objects of the one preposition 'like', the whole
bonded and musically uplifted by a complex interplay of word-repetition,
alliteration and assonance which produces a subtle counterpoint across the
expectations of the basic iambic pentameter, all with an increasing rapidity
of rhythm that rises to a sublime climax.  We are not condemned, are we, to
say nothing but 'Ooo!' as explanatory of how the enchantment works upon us?

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

Yes, I believe I do agree with Dr. Wright's critique. I just wish it