ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:30:38 -0600
Gordon,

Maybe we ought to have Martha look it up in Quirk, _et.al._

To me the phrase "go fishing" does indeed have the same force as "fish" in the generic sense.   Like "I go fishing on Fridays" for the same meaning as "I fish on Fridays".  "Fishing" is the gerund, as in "I like fishing" or "I am busy fishing."  I think of "go" as a verb that likes to take a gerund as a complement, _i.e._ a gerund in the form of an adverbial noun, if you like.  (The Latins had a special noun form of the verb, a supine, that would express purpose.)  We may say, "I go swimming, jogging, sunning, and searching for shells on the beach in that order on Fridays." or " I swim, jog, sun, and search for shells on the beach in that order on Fridays."

Bruce Despain

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/03/01 09:57AM >>>
This brings up a question we have been pondering = what is the function of
'fishing' in "I go fishing"? It would seem the preferable solution would be
"I fish."  Is the structure using 'go' as an apparent 'helping verb'
idiomatic; somewhat like "I have *got* a cold."? In "I go fishing," can
'fishing' somehow act like an adverb -- I go {where}; I cannot see it as a
Direct Object, but maybe my sight is not what it used to be.
Gordon Carmichael
Central Texas College and Tarleton State University, Killeen, Texas