ATEG Archives

July 2000

From:
SIRAISI Tomio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:40:17 -0700
The other day, I began to read Francis Iles' "Malice Aforethought".

This classic mystery begins with the following sentence:

It was not until several weeks after he had decided to murder his wife that
Dr Bickleigh took any steps in the matter. Murder is a serious business.

Here, I have a question.
Shouldn't it be the following?

It was not until several weeks after DR BICKLEIGH had decided to murder his
wife that HE took any steps in the matter. Murder is a serious business.

Pronominalization ordering is a problem when I write English.
When can I write the word order of PRONOUN to NOUN?

The sentences below are the samples:

(1-a) When Tom was young, he was rich.
(1-b) When he was young, Tom was rich.
(1-c) He was rich when Tom was young.
(1-d) Tom was rich when he was young.

(2-a) I like Jack because he is handsome.
(2-b) I like him because Jack is handsome.
(2-c) Because he is handsome, I like jack.
(2-d) Because Jack is handsome, I like him.

(3-a) It is not until you lose health that you realize its importance.
(3-b) It is not until you lose it that you realize the importance of health.

(4-a) After you lose your membership in it, the younger generation seems
pretty bad.
(4-b) After you lose your membership in the younger generation, it seems
pretty bad.

(5-a) Tom said that he had not murdered his wife.
(5-b) He said that Tom had not murdered his wife.

Thank you for reading this long mail.
And I would be grateful for you to give me a reply.

SIRAISI Tomio