ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:08:24 -0500
Eduard,
   When you say your native speaker students generate 70% ungrammatical
sentences, you are probably using the term in a rather unique way.
   "He worked for as long as he could" strikes me as perfectly
grammatical, as something I would easily say and easily understand. We
would need a corpus to include it, but we would need a corpus to
classify it as ungrammatical as well. >
   I gave one example where "for" helps clarify, and I'll try another.
"He painted the lines [for] as long as he could."  Without the "for",
it's a statement about the length of the lines.  With the "for", it's a
statement about how long he would work. The "for" makes the notion of
duration clear.
If it showed up in my students' writing, I would never think of it as
ungrammatical.

Craig

 Hi!