ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Pam Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:46:47 -0500
Rebecca,

Having students tape the language they hear is a great way to start the course!
Exploring the differences between talking and writing is important – and my students
(basic writers at a community college) have really appreciated it.  It validates what
they already know - how to talk, it helps them appreciate the conventions of writing,
it explains many common writing errors, and it provides a framework we can use
throughout the course to explain these errors.

I begin by asking students, "Which would you rather do: talk or write?” After they
have voted their preference, I ask them why.  Their answers reveal many of the
differences between writing and talking.  As I jot their answers on the board,
students see the writing conventions emerge: spelling, punctuation, paragraphing.  We
need to spell correctly so readers know what word we are using, mark sentences so they
know where ideas end and begin, organize our ideas and put them in paragraphs to help
readers follow our train of thought.  As the discussion continues, I point out that
writing and talking involve different situations and different structures.

Different situations.  When we talk, the listeners are right there with us.  They can
see our facial expressions and body language, which communicate all kinds of
information.  We can also see them.  Often, we don’t even finish what we are going to
say because we can see that others already understand our point.  In addition,
listeners can hear us.  Whispering something, for example, gives a different message
than yelling those exact words.  People can also hear us pause and therefore know
where one idea ends and another begins.  Finally, because others are with us, we
create the conversation together.  We do not need to know ahead of time what we think.

When we write, the readers are not with us.  They can’t see our facial expressions and
body language. We therefore have to fill in the gaps and put that information into our
writing.  We also can’t see them, so we have no way of knowing whether they understand
the point we are making.  As writers, we have to anticipate their questions and supply
that information.  In addition, readers can’t hear us pause and stop at the end of an
idea.  If we don’t use punctuation to show where one idea ends and the next one
begins, readers will see nothing but non-stop words.  The final difference is that we
cannot ramble the way we do when talking.  Before we turn in a paper or send a letter,
we need to know what we think and present those ideas logically.  If we ramble in our
writing, readers will think we are disorganized and confused.

Different structures.  Writing and talking have different structures.   We write in
sentences, which need both a subject and a verb (or predicate), but we talk in
chunks.  When talking to others, we communicate our ideas in chunks of information,
saying things such as "In a minute,” "Sometime tomorrow night,” and "Because I was
busy.”  People listening to us do not reply, "That’s not a sentence” or "You left out
the subject of that sentence.”  When talking, we can communicate our meaning without
sentences.  If students are writing fragments, they are writing the way they talk: in
chunks of information. (And when I explain this, their eyes light up.  They  they
understand why they are writing fragments.)

When we talk, we also string along our ideas until we have said what we wanted to
say.  We might say something like, "We were both bored last night and we wanted to do
something different so we decided to rent a movie so that’s when we called you.”  When
we have said what was on our minds, our voice goes down in pitch and we stop.  If
students are writing run-on sentences, they are also writing the way they talk:
stringing along their ideas and placing a period where their voice goes down in pitch
and they stop.  (And their eyes light up again, for they realize they are not stupid -
they are simply writing the way they talk.)

I end the discussion by saying that talking and writing are like football and
basketball.  One game is not better than the other game; they are just different.
Although I have developed this approach in a basic writing textbook, Rhythms of
Writing, I think it would work with any grade level.

Pam Dykstra
South Suburban College
South Holland, IL 60430