ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Ronald Sheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:49:40 -0700
Johanna's example of Holmes deducing something or other illustrates how
tricky the pair of words is.  On the one hand, he brings together a set of
facts and induces therefrom a conclusion as in 'I see, my dear fellow, from
your rough hands, your rasping cough, your wheezing and the coal dust in
your eyes that you are a miner.'   On the other hand, stretching it a bit, I
suppose one could say that Holmes has a set of rules of thumb such as 'rough
hands come from manual work' and 'a rasping cough and wheezing' is a symptom
of miners.   He then applies them to the facts before his eyes and ears and
draws together the conclusions from which he induces...Then again, maybe he
deduces...

This is probably why in applied linguistics the terms 'implicit' and
'explicit' have replaced the troublesome pair.

Ron Sheen