ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:22:35 -0600
In my own experience with Russian immigrants the question of Cyrilic was not even considered.  If they were trying to teach you Russian it would probably be important, but a good part of learning English is learning the Roman alphabetic system and the way it has been adapted to English sounds.  If she has been immersed in our culture for several years, it seems the problem related to Cyrilic should be resolved.

I have developed my own materials and exercises for teaching English depending on the level and needs of my students.  One very helpful text has been: Close, R. A.  A reference grammar for students of English.  Longman Group, Ltd., 1975.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Bruce D. Despain,
Volunteer ESL tudor

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/07/01 11:48PM >>>
A friend of mine emigrated from Russia five or six years ago.  She's ardently
committed to learning English, and I'd like to proffer my services as a
volunteer tutor.  Knowing almost nothing about the Cyrillic alphabet or the
Russian language, I'm a little chary about using any of the grammar texts
with which I'm familiar.  I'd appreciate a curriculum recommendation from any
of you in the ATEG family who know what text or method of instruction might
best meet her needs.