ATEG Archives

August 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:18:32 -0700
That's a bit of folk etymology that has been floating about for a few
decades. It has been thoroughly debunked. See

Henry Ansgar Kelly, "Rule of Thumb and the Folklaw of the Husband's
Stick," Journal of Legal Education, September 1994.

Kelly does an excellent job of tracing how the idea that the phrase is
misogynist appeared in some feminist literature and was propagated
without people bothering to take simple measures to verify the claim
(like checking the OED).

The interesting question, though, is whether one wants to avoid the term
so as not to rile those who believe the story (whatever the truth behind
it). I have seen style guides so advising. It seems a pity to abandon
such a useful phrase, but folk etymology can be a powerful normative
force. Just look at the word "niggardly," which also seems to have
become taboo based on incorrect assumptions about its origin.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College