ATEG Archives

September 1997

From:
Mikio Kubota <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:41:18 +0900
I am a college EFL teacher and am working for my Ph.D. dissertation on errors
in English produced by Japanese learners. If you are a native-speaking ESL/EFL
teacher with experience in teaching ESL/EFL to Japanese learners and you are
interested in this topic, would you kindly respond to the questionnaire that
follows? The questionnaire comprises two parts and concerns your idea of typical
errors Japanese learners tend to make, based on your teaching experience.
   It will take about 20 minutes of your time to complete. I will collate your
you later.
   Here is the questionnaire:
[Part 1]
(1) In your opinion, what types of errors made by Japanese learners are
    (a) serious for communication?, (b) typical of Japanese learners?,
    (c) persistent regardless of instruction?
Please list them and specify the proficiency level(s)
[e.g.,beginning,intermediate, advanced] of learners where applicable.
 e.g., (c) omission of third person singular verb ending, for intermediate
Your opinion:

(2) Which types of grammatical errors produced by Japanese learners should
receive explicit instruction in class (e.g., grammatical explanations),(a)
serious for communication, (b) typical of Japanese learners, or (c)persistent?
Please choose (a), (b), or (c). You may give a multiple answer.
Your opinion: (   )
[Part 2]
Here is a list of 48 typical errors in English that seem to persist with
Japanese learners, based on my personal. Please let me know how you as a
native-speaking teacher will react to each example.
Simply choose the letter according to your rating of:
(a) Are structures produced by Japanese learners grammatically difficult?
        [D(ifficult) / E(asy)],
(b) Are errors produced by Japanese learners serious for communication?
        [S(serious) / N(ot serious)], and
(c) Do Japanese learners produce the same errors over a long term, regardless of
    instruction?
        [P(ersistent) / N(ot persistent)].
Please indicate your rating by deleting the characters not of your choice.
Your response should, for example, look:
        1. D,N,P
        2. E,S,P
[I have put the usual asterisks to phrases that are ungrammatical and have given
a gloss in brackets at the end.]

[1] Errors caused by translation from Japanese
Ellipsis in Japanese
1. *Young people playing tennis is increasing. (The number of young...)
        1.DE,SN,PN
2. I gave the money *which I worked. (the money which I got by/from working)
        2.DE,SN,PN
3. I want to study the subject which *need to get a good job. (which I need ...)
        3.DE,SN,PN
4. I like telephone, because I can hear the voice *whom I'm talking with.
        (of the person whom I'm talking with)
        4.DE,SN,PN
Verb
5. Mary *uses a long time cleaning the room. (spends a long time cleaning...)
        5.DE,SN,PN
6. My sister *met a car accident last week, so she was sent to the hospital.
        (had a car accident)
        6.DE,SN,PN
7. Please *teach me the way to the station. (tell)
        7.DE,SN,PN
8. I *am enjoying my high school life. (enjoy my ...)
        8.DE,SN,PN
Adjective
9. I am *delightful that my plan was successful. (delighted)
        9.DE,SN,PN
10. I am *lonely that I will graduate from this school. (sad)
        10.DE,SN,PN
11. The *price of the computer is cheap. (low)
        11.DE,SN,PN
12. *My interests are not many, but I like cycling and skiing.
        (I don't have many interests)
        12.DE,SN,PN
Noun
13. I had a *story with John on the bus. (talk, conversation)
        13.DE,SN,PN
14. I am in the first *grade of senior high school. (year)
        14.DE,SN,PN
Interrogative
15. *How do you think about this idea? (What)
        15.DE,SN,PN
Word-order
16. I like receiving letters, because *they can read again and again.
        (I can read them...)
        16.DE,SN,PN
[2] Developmental errors irrespective of native languages
Verb
17. A woman who was eighty *took the first prize. (won/got/received)
        17.DE,SN,PN
18. They are permitted to *take on the dress. (put on)
        18.DE,SN,PN
19. The old woman has been very sick for many years. She *was died in the bed
yesterday. (died)
        19.DE,SN,PN
20. I am going to *develop films. (have films developed)
        20.DE,SN,PN
21. I can't *listen your voice. (hear)
        21.DE,SN,PN
Ergative verb
22. The wind was very strong. When I was in my room, the door *was opened
suddenly.(opened)
        22.DE,SN,PN
23. This book *is sold well. (sells)
        23.DE,SN,PN
to-infinitive
24. Mary decided *study abroad. (to study)
        24.DE,SN,PN
25. I went to New York *for studying American history. (to study ...)
        25.DE,SN,PN
-ing
26. I am not good at *to play the piano.(playing)
        26.DE,SN,PN
27. The man kept *study English for three hours. (studying)
        27.DE,SN,PN
Past participle
28. I have *been reading the book, so I can start writing a report now.
        (have read)
        28.DE,SN,PN
29. I'll talk about my favorite jockey who *named Masato Shibata.(who is named)
        29.DE,SN,PN
Adjective
30. There was *few milk, so I went to the supermarket. (little)
        30.DE,SN,PN
31. I think you will be *interesting in this magazine. (interested)
        31.DE,SN,PN
32. John *convinced that his girlfriend was a very kind girl. (was convinced)
        32.DE,SN,PN
33. My sister is six feet *high. (tall)
        33.DE,SN,PN
Adverbials
34. I have *ever been to New York. (have been to...)
        34.DE,SN,PN
35. I think I'll go *to home. (go home)
        35.DE,SN,PN
Relative clause
36. I know the man *who father climbed Mt. Fuji. (whose)
        36.DE,SN,PN
37. I climbed the mountain *where was covered with a lot of snow. (which)
        37.DE,SN,PN
Preposition
38. I'll finish this homework *till tomorrow morning. (by)
        38.DE,SN,PN
39. I went swimming *to the river near my grandfather's house. (in)
        39.DE,SN,PN
40. I think *of a traffic accident so dreadful. (delete 'of')
        40.DE,SN,PN
Conjunction
41. Let's not go on a picnic tomorrow, because *of the typhoon is coming.
        (delete 'of')
        41.DE,SN,PN
42. I listen to music *during walking, having a bath, reading magazines.
        (while I am walking,.../while walking...)
        42.DE,SN,PN
Word-order
43. Pet dealers *forced to buy expensive animals for customers.
        (forced customers to buy...)
        43.DE,SN,PN
44. What do you like *song? (What song do you like?)
        44.DE,SN,PN
Nouns
45. Are you a good *cooker? (cook)
        45.DE,SN,PN
46. He gave me some good *advices. (advice)
        46.DE,SN,PN
Pronoun
47. How long *did you take to go to school? (did it take you to...)
        47.DE,SN,PN
48. *I was difficult to answer such a question.(It was difficult for me to
answer...)
        48.DE,SN,PN
Thank you for your time.
   Now, could you let me know something about your background?
(The data will be used for statistical purposes only and for this project of
mine.)
Your age: ( )0's
Your sex: (   )
Your country living now: (   )
Your native language: English
Your ESL/EFL teaching experience: (  ) years, where ? (  ), ESL or EFL? (  )
Your experience of teaching ESL/EFL to Japanese students:
                (  ) years, where? (  ), ESL or EFL? (  )
Degrees and/or professional qualifications earned or currently studying toward:
                (       ) majoring in (     )
   Do you know of any native-speaking ESL/EFL teachers who might be interested
in this topic and whom I can ask to cooperate in this way? I would appreciate it
if you let me know how I can get in touch with him/her
(e.g., e-mail).
Thank you once again.
Sincerely yours,
Mikio Kubota, Seijo University