ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:07:02 -0700
What Ph says is fairly inspiring:

>I began teaching 24 sentence patterns
> to them - one per week. I also have numerous strategies that we used to
> reinforce the patterns throughout the week.  We worked with clauses,
> participles, gerunds, infinitives.  The kids really liked the program and
> their writing improved drastically.  I am not a researcher so I kept no
> data.  I only know that prior to the program 0% of my students exceeded on
> the state writing test and only 34% passed.  By the end of the second
> year, 89% of the students were exceeding and 11% meeting.  I continued the
> program and am now sharing it with other teachers who are reporting the
> same successes.

This sounds like something that BOTH the elementary and the
senior levels of grammar teaching can take an interest in.

I hope that the elementary teachers do not start a separate
listserve.

If the listserve as is hasn't been hospitable enough to elementary
interests then we should start.

I would ask the elementary set to give us another chance:  post in
with some practical questions and give us another chance to
propose a practical answer!

Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
please visit me at
www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb