ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:21:29 -0500
Craig,

The specialized ESL dictionaries, like the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary or the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English include grammatical patterns in their definitions, and for a word like "hit" there will be two entries, one as a transitive and one as a ditransitive.  The distinction is important because in different patterns verbs may have slightly different meanings.  Those dictionaries do a very careful and rigorous analysis of verb patterns, far beyond the five to eight most of us teach.  They both have around fifty.  Of course, if you look at Beth Levin's book on English verb patterns, you'll find about 330.

Herb