ATEG Archives

April 2001

From:
Carolyn Hartnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:08:53 -0500
David Mulroy asked if a linguist would agree with his explanation:

>My explanation is the present perfect is used to characterize an action
that
is complete ("perfect") but was completed so recently that it is still
relevant to one's understanding of the present moment.  "The Chinese have
refused to return our spy plane," but not "Brutus has assassinated
Caesar."  <

I am a linguist (of the Hallidayan functional type) who has spent many
years
teaching college composition, including the grammar that such a course
entails,
and I have long used a similar explanation.  Present perfect refers to past

actions that still have an effect in the present.

Carolyn Hartnett